Fwd: Re: [vox] Vista Stability

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Oct 25 16:32:48 PDT 2007

Gandalf posted this from a non-subscribed address, so fwd'ing it to 'vox'
on his behalf...

----- Forwarded message from vox-bounces at lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Gandalf  Parker <gandalf at community.net>
Subject: Re: [vox] Vista Stability

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Bob Scofield wrote:

>A few months ago my wife got a new computer with Vista on it.  Putting aside
>the problem of the irritating security features that require you to keep
>clicking to get where you want, it is unbelievably unstable.  I was not
>expecting Microsoft to actually go backward in the area of stability.

My day job is consultant. Here is my take on Vista.

Its GOING to be great. It has many changes which should make it more
stable, and hooks written into it which should make it able to run some
incredible software.

Unfortunately, we have to wait for drivers and updated software and new
Vista-using softwares to start showing up.

Until then, the reviews seem to be that everything people have either runs
badly, or if they are lucky then it runs the same as it did on XP. Very
little actually runs better.

IF someone gets a new machine with Vista already installed on it then its
usually OK (sorry about your situation Bob) because the company will
usually make sure that the hardward does hve new drivers available and
loaded that are Vista compliant. But an older machine where the wipe WinXP
and load Vista is often a real problem.

Just IMHO of course
Gandalf  Parker

----- End forwarded message -----