[vox] [fwd] jim goes to school and talks

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Oct 22 14:23:31 PDT 2007

Seen on SF-LUG's mailing list.  (Jim's SF-LUG's head-honcho, I believe,
and also hangs around LUGOD's list.  And you just have to love his blurb :) )

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from jim stockford <jim at well.com> -----

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 14:19:32 -0700
From: jim stockford <jim at well.com>
Subject: [sf-lug] jim goes to school and talks
To: Linux userGroup <sf-lug at linuxmafia.com>

they used to send me outside when i did this....

i'm gonna talk at USF:

SPECIAL LECTURE SERIES IN COMPUTER SCIENCE
         UNIVERSITY OF SAN FRANCISCO
      TUESDAY, October 30, 12:20-1:20 pm
              James Stockford
Harney Science Center Room 235
2741 Golden Gate (at Kittredge) in SF

of course, it's just me going "blah, blah, blah," but here's the blurb:
-----------------------

"There is a tide in the affairs of men, which taken at the flood, leads
on to fortune...."
--William Shakespeare, from Julius Caesar

In the beginning, there was no software 100 years ago there were only
mechanical contraptions and counting machines that were not so
different from some of the contraptions of ancient Egypt and Phoenicia.
100 years ago people rode horses through city streets.

The last 100 years seem to have seen more change than the previous
5000. Almost all of the computer industry has occurred in the last 50
years. It may be the last ten years has seen as much change as the
prior 90.

The big events were driven by non-technical factors such as faith,
vision, luck, and a kind of inevitability that comes from standing on
our predecessors' shoulders.

The tides of opportunities are coming faster and faster. This talk
presents a few stories that show how people have seen them or missed
them.