[vox] Ubuntu Desktop backup?

Orson Jones orsonjones at runbox.com
Wed Nov 28 14:12:54 PST 2007

Chris Horsting wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have Ubuntu 7.10 and a DVD burner. So, I am planning to back my system
> onto a DVD.  I looked at Ubuntu community documentation:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem?highlight=%28backup%
> 29, and there are a lot of options.
>
> So, which option would be good to backup my system onto a DVD?

SimpleBackupSuite looks pretty good, but I haven't used it. One thing
that is helpful though is saving the output of "dpkg -l" (that is a
lower case L) to a file and backing that up also. If you have to do a
complete reinstall you know what programs you had installed. I vaguely
remember hearing about a program that would look at the differences
between what your computer looks like now and what it would look like if
you built a new one and installed all currently loaded packages. But, I
don't know what it was, or if it was just an idea. :(

Orson