[vox] linux recommendation

Peter Jay Salzman p at dirac.org
Sat Mar 3 13:10:51 PST 2007

I want to buy my mom a computer.  Don't care bout OSS principles, the
"right" way of doing things, or any of that.  What I *do* care about is:

1. Brainless install on my part.  Everything "just works".
2. No tinkering necessary once it's installed.
3. Easiest to use.
4. Seamless integration with things like wine.

A distro that caters to people who don't know anything about computers, but
more importantly, who don't WANT to know anything about computers other than
word processing, reading email, browsing, running stepmania, and various
other mundane tasks.

What distro best suits my needs?

I've also heard that Gnome is better than KDE for really clueless newbies
(that would be my mom).  But it sounds like if *I* ever had to tinker with
her system, I would be in trouble.  Would there be a reason to install one
more than the other?

Thanks,
Pete

--
How VBA rounds a number depends on the number's internal representation.
You cannot always predict how it will round when the rounding digit is 5.

Peter Jay Salzman, email: p at dirac.org web: http://www.dirac.org/p