[vox] [fwd] SVLUG General Meeting on Wednesday, July 11th: Drobo, the World's First Data Robot

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jul 9 08:13:47 PDT 2007

----- Forwarded message from Mark Weisler -----

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 07:47:17 -0700
From: Mark Weisler
Subject: [svlug-announce] SVLUG General Meeting on Wednesday,
	July 11th: Drobo, the World's First Data Robot

Join the Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) this coming Wednesday
to learn about Drobo, the World's First Data Robot.

WHEN:
 Wednesday, July 11th, 2007
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
Richard Sharpe will introduce Data Robotics's Drobo, the world's first data
robot. Drobo is a USB storage device that allows users to mix and match up to
four SATA drives of different sizes, and allows for easy upgrading, all while
protecting the user's storage. After a demonstration of its capabilities, he
will then talk about how a Drobo can be used with open source operating
systems like Linux and FreeBSD. The management protocol that allows a host to
interact with Drobo will be explained, plus strategies for dealing with the
fact that Drobo changes size will be suggested in the context of Linux.

PRESENTED BY:
Richard Sharpe,
Data Robotics, Inc.

ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
Richard Sharpe is a software engineer at Data Robotics, Inc. Prior to Data
Robotics, he worked at Mu Security and Panasas. He has also been active in
the open source arena, having been involved with both Samba and ethereal (now
wireshark).

   NIFTY OF THE MONTH:        To be announced.

   LOCATION:
      Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
      VCAFE Facility
      350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
      Mountain View, CA 94043

      http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.shtml

 If you have any improvements to make,
 please let SVLUG's volunteers know!
 webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

POST-MEETING GATHERING:
 restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
 selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

--
Mark Weisler