[vox] Iceweasel

Ted Deppner ted at psyber.com
Fri Jan 19 11:18:31 PST 2007

It boils down to two things.  One, Debian almost always does *extra*
things, which is one of the things that makes Debian so good.  They fix
bugs, they tweak the install to be more robust (or shall we say 'more well
behaved').  Debian always submits useful changes back to the upstream
source.  Two, Mozilla, rightly so, doesn't want Firefox *plus* Debian's
bugfixes and tweaks called "FireFox".  Mozilla doesn't necessarily agree
with all of Debian's bugfixes and tweeks, so they've not take then into
their source.  So you have an impasse.  Debian adds value by fixing bugs
and tweaking things and Mozilla is saying if you do that, it's not Firefox
any more.

So debian adds a renamed logo and name, s/Firefox/Iceweasel/.  So what?  I
prefer Debian's packaging anyway, and Debian almost always does the right
thing.

I think both Debian and Mozilla have their points, and neither is wrong.
It's sad that a happier solution hasn't been found, but it's not a big
deal.

On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 09:55:36AM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I was looking forward to Firefox 2.0, and today Apt said it was going to
> download it.  But voila, out came Iceweasel.
>
> I'm always the last to find out about tech stuff, and I may have missed a
> discussion here.  If so, I apologize for asking about it now.
>
> I've read a little bit about the Mozilla/Debian "controversy?" on Wikipedia,
> and will read more when I get the time.  I'm just writing this so that I can
> learn more about what people here think about it.  So if anyone has an
> opinion, I'd like to hear it.
>
> I'm assuming that if I were using Apt on Fedora or Kubuntu or Open Suse I
> would have gotten Firefox instead of Iceweasel, right?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Bob

Ted Deppner
http://www.deppner.us/