[vox] Streaming flash videos yourself (no YouTube or Google Video needed)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Feb 13 14:06:30 PST 2007

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 03:22:42PM -0800, jim stockford wrote:
> >but haven't liked that I'm merely throwing up "<a href>" links to the
> >AVI
> >files I pull off of my digital camera.
> how come?

Well, for one, all a person sees is something like:

  _mvi_1234.avi_

If I were cool, I'd actually spend some time putting a screenshot from
the video there, but just don't have the time for that manual process.

> >These days, websites often have videos embedded as Flash objects from
> >sites like YouTube (mostly) and Google Video (far less often).
> what's good about that? (serious question)

Watching a streaming video provides nearly-immediate gratification,
whereas downloading a large AVI (esp over dialup... Melissa's mom,
for example, is stuck with dialup at the moment) is not gratifying. :)

<snip>
> I wish i understood why it's worth the trouble--how come
> putting videos up on a web page isn't good enough?
> (serious question--why bother with flash?)

Again, the instant gratification is one issue.
Worse is fact that, once Melissa's mom had spent who-knows-how-many-minutes
downloading a video, she discovered that she couldn't even PLAY it.
Codecs are a pain in the ass.  AVI is just a 'wrapper' file format,
dontchyaknow. :^(

bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/