[vox] HSC is closing!

Christopher James McKenzie mckenzie at cs.ucdavis.edu
Wed Aug 29 15:13:38 PDT 2007

Hey,

Just saw this.

A co-op electronics hobbiest store?  I can't tell you how wonderful
that sounds.  I can imagine that I and many other people will be more
then willing to give supplies, time, and money if HSC becomes a
not-for-profit community run, community driven enterprise.

With addition to being a store, it could also facilitate activities such
as being a venue for LUG meetings or activities (if so inclined).  Also,
community driven products like Ubuntu could quite possibly be found there.

I also envision the potential of free workshops in hobbiest electronics
being run by people that have an itching to teach.  I can even think of
a few qualified candidates that could do the activity.

I even have ideas on how to make such events economically viable and
sustainable in perpetuity.  The monopoly practically guarantees that HSC
will be the supplier if you integrate a requirement (say a protoboard or
a multimeter) into the event.

~chris.