[vox] mythtv anyone?

Harold Lee harold at hotelling.net
Mon Apr 16 18:14:17 PDT 2007

Wes Hardaker wrote:
> Anyone in town set up a mythtv box yet?  I have a Tivo series one that
> I likely need to replace in the near future and I'm looking at doing a
> myth solution instead...  I think the software install doesn't look
> too bad, assuming you have the right hardware.  It's picking the
> hardware that looks more tricky ;-)
>
> Anyone done it?  Do ya like it?  Want a visitor in your livingroom for
> a demo?  (heh)

About 3 years ago I set up a MythTV box with dual-tuners. Pretty easy to
set up, and nice to use. I got the really cheap tuner cards with no
hardware encoding, which was kind of a pain. I think it was an Athlon
2500+ system with 512 MB of RAM. It could record and play at some low
(but watchable) quality just fine. But my recommendation would be to go
for at least one tuner with hardware encoding to save your CPU.

Sorry - I don't have it set up anymore, or I'd be happy to demo it. I'm
sure MythTV has come a long way since then.

We left it running all the time, and scheduling works great. With dual
tuners it knows how to split jobs between tuners correctly so that you
can record 2 programs at once, or record one and watch live TV.