[vox] Re: Laptop purchase recomendation

Joshua Morris bullring at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 13:25:13 PDT 2006

On 9/25/06, Joshua Morris <bullring at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I am shopping for a new laptop and am looking for suggestions on laptops
> that work well with Linux.  I have been looking at HP's dv9000t  with the
> core 2 duo chip set.  At < $2,800 i'm scared to exaust my student budget =
on
> it if it is not going to do what I am looking for.  This is the
> configuration I am looking for:
>
> HP Pavilion dv9000t customizable Notebook Pc
> EZ379AV
>
>    - =96 Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.0 GHz)
>    - =96 17.0" WXGA+ Ultra BrightView Widescreen (1440x900)
>    - =96 512MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7600
>    - =96 HP IMPRINT Finish + Microphone + Webcam
>    - =96 FREE Upgrade to 1.0GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x512MB)!!
>    - =96 240 GB 5400 RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (120 GB x 2)
>    - =96 FREE Upgrade - LightScribe DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
>    - =96 Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network w/Bluetooth
>    - =96 HP ExpressCard Analog TV Tuner w/remote control
>    - =96 Two High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Batteries
>    - =96 HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope
>
> If you use any other brands that have similar specs let me know.  If you
> have had any good/bad experiences with Linux on a hp that too would be
> greatly appreciated.
> I looked around on Google to see if I could find any websites that might
> have more information, but there wasn't much available becuse the laptop =
has
> only been out a few months.
>
> Joshua

Thank you all for your input.  After looking over the websites you have all
posted and the points you have all made.  I have decided not to buy the HP
because of their use of BIOS white-listing noted by some of you( I even
called hp customer service and the sales rep hesitated but did confirm that
this model has the same bios white-listing "feature") in the websites that
were mentioned.  It is a shame that computer manufactures like HP want to
cripple their products in this way.

Joshua