[vox] Laptop purchase recomendation

Joshua Morris bullring at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 08:46:15 PDT 2006

On 9/26/06, Justin Cummins <sul3n3t at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/25/06, Joshua Morris <bullring at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Um, you're a student. Get something used or refurbished and save
> > > yourself the money; you'll find plenty of other things that you need
> > > to buy.  If you're going to buy new, go for a low-end unit; you can
> > > get some very decent new laptops for around $600/$700, plus around
> > > $150 for a RAM upgrade, that will run Linux very nicely.
> >

> > I thought about the refurbished route but would like a warranty that
> > covers accidental damages and things just in case something happens.
> >

> Accidental damage... expensive warranty plan! I am not sure what apple
> offers, but retailers like CompUSA and BestBuy either charge ridiculous
> prices for accidental coverage or make unenforcible promises on what their
> plan covers regardless of the legal speak. I'm not saying don't go for it,
> but I hope you already have it factored into your budget.

for $332.49 You get up to three years of:

 =95 Protection from unpredictable drops, spills, and other unexpected dama=
ge
=95 Continuous coverage for hardware parts and labor  =95 24 x 7 real-time =
chat
and toll-free phone support from certified HP Total Care
representatives  =95 Technical
assistance with installation, configuration and setup, problem solving, and
normal PC operation  =95 Assistance with virus and
spyware<javascript:openWin('/shopping/html/misc/glossary.html#spyware')>iss=
ues
=95 Three-business-day repair time (an upgrade from standard 4=9610 busines=
s-day
repair time; does not include shipping time)  =95 Round-trip shipping at no
additional cost (two days transit in each direction)  =95 Convenient
door-to-door product pickup and delivery

If you're planning on studying abroad, get a Mac[1].  Actually, my
> > > general advice is to get a MacBook, and load it with 3rd-party RAM.
> > > Under $1300 out-the-door.
> > >
> > > What are you planning on doing with your laptop?
> >

> > I would like to work more with virtualization since the SA field is
> > slowly going that direction. I currently run Gentoo on my Dell C600(p3)=
 and
> > would like to run Gentoo & Xen in a domU kernel on a multi-core process=
or. I
> > am a CS major  and do System administration and programing.
> >
> > [1] AFAIK, none of the PC manufacturers will honor warranties
> > > overseas; you have to ship your computer back to the US, and models
> > > sold overseas are usually different from U.S. kit.  Apple at least
> > > gets this one right.
> >

> > That is a good thing to know, but i probably will not be doing much
> > traveling for a while...
> >

> My other comment on HP (but applicable to many manufacturer) is beware the
> bios whitelist. Research the model for it. I even have a extra miniPCI ca=
rd
> you could use to test for this because I was burned on a compaq.

I'll look into this, Thank you