[vox] Laptop purchase recomendation

Michael Cheselka cheselka at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 23:37:51 PDT 2006

Hello,

You may as well buy new since the prices drop so steeply and
performance rises so sharply that it wouldn't make much sense
to do otherwise.  The Intel Core 2 Duo has enhancements for
virtualization and would be the best choice for an immediate
purchase.

On 9/25/06, Joshua Morris <bullring at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/25/06, Don Werve <donw at agentsix.net> wrote:
> > On 09/25/2006, at 20:36, Joshua Morris wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > I am shopping for a new laptop and am looking for suggestions on
> > > laptops that work well with Linux.  I have been looking at HP's
> > > dv9000t  with the core 2 duo chip set.  At < $2,800 i'm scared to
> > > exaust my student budget on it if it is not going to do what I am
> > > looking for.  This is the configuration I am looking for:
> >
> > Um, you're a student. Get something used or refurbished and save
> > yourself the money; you'll find plenty of other things that you need
> > to buy.  If you're going to buy new, go for a low-end unit; you can
> > get some very decent new laptops for around $600/$700, plus around
> > $150 for a RAM upgrade, that will run Linux very nicely.
>
> I thought about the refurbished route but would like a warranty that covers
> accidental damages and things just in case something happens.
>
> > If you're planning on studying abroad, get a Mac[1].  Actually, my
> > general advice is to get a MacBook, and load it with 3rd-party RAM.
> > Under $1300 out-the-door.
> >
> > What are you planning on doing with your laptop?
>
> I would like to work more with virtualization since the SA field is slowly
> going that direction. I currently run Gentoo on my Dell C600(p3) and would
> like to run Gentoo & Xen in a domU kernel on a multi-core processor. I am a
> CS major  and do System administration and programing.
>
> > [1] AFAIK, none of the PC manufacturers will honor warranties
> > overseas; you have to ship your computer back to the US, and models
> > sold overseas are usually different from U.S. kit.  Apple at least
> > gets this one right.
>
> That is a good thing to know, but i probably will not be doing much
> traveling for a while...

When in the Potemkin Wired be a Potemkin Lain.