[vox] Debian Frustrations for Non-Geeks

Jim evesautomotive at charter.net
Sat Sep 23 12:21:34 PDT 2006

Bob Scofield wrote:
> Here's why an apt-based, or at least a Debian, system is still frustrating for
> non-geeks.  When apt updates various programs, or kernels, things sometimes
> stop working.  And it's a problem if you don't know how to fix them.
>
> Earlier this year I installed Etch.  Kb3 has never worked on my Etch until
> today.  Kb3's error messages always said to use the 2.4 kernel if you were
> having problems.  So today apt updates my kernel to 2.6.17 and magically Kb3
> works perfectly.  I still think SuSE may be the best recommendation for
> newbies and bewbies.  (bewbies are newbies who never learn.  It rhymes with
> boobies.)
>
> Bob

Actually I think that pclinuxos blows suse away.  Comes on a live cd
that is iso from internet.

I am green as a gourd so I know about the newbie deliema.  Pclinux was
live so I saw that it detected almost all my hardware.  It also has a
very neat install function right on the desktop however the partition
tool can be a little tricky for newbs (like me).

If you need help give me a shout.  I have been playing with this for a
few weeks but have learned a lot.

P.s.: I am using thunderchicken to compose and send this email so if it
comes htmp PLEASE let me know so I dont make anybody sore.

Jimbo