[vox] Debian Frustrations for Non-Geeks

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Fri Sep 22 10:29:58 PDT 2006

Here's why an apt-based, or at least a Debian, system is still frustrating for
non-geeks.  When apt updates various programs, or kernels, things sometimes
stop working.  And it's a problem if you don't know how to fix them.

Earlier this year I installed Etch.  Kb3 has never worked on my Etch until
today.  Kb3's error messages always said to use the 2.4 kernel if you were
having problems.  So today apt updates my kernel to 2.6.17 and magically Kb3
works perfectly.  I still think SuSE may be the best recommendation for
newbies and bewbies.  (bewbies are newbies who never learn.  It rhymes with
boobies.)

Bob