[vox] Software for Flyers

Marianne Waage yamara at plush.org
Tue Sep 5 10:52:17 PDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:40:29AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 10:16:34AM -0700, jim stockford wrote:
> > out of ignorance:
> >    conceptually at least, isn't there the possibility of
> > integrating pantone coloring abilities in the GIMP
> > GUI, and aren't pantone colors CYMK?
>
> "Pantone" is, I believe, the "Pantone Matching System" color space.
> It is proprietary, which is the reason GIMP has not supported it.
> (Wikipedia links to some discussion about the issue on Groklaw, if you have
> lots of free time ;^) )

Pantone is not the only color matching system, just the most popular.
The generic term would be "spot color". There's no reason they couldn't
implement spot colors without trouncing on copyright. Then you could
name your personalized spot color "Pantone 682", and make it display
as a layer of, say, orange.

Then you could display in RGB-O :)

-mran