[vox] Debian + KDE vs. Kubuntu

Don Armstrong don at donarmstrong.com
Tue May 23 23:14:09 PDT 2006

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 18:33 -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > >
> > > If you like Wine, Ubuntu has Debian beat hands-down. The reason is
> > > that I build the Ubuntu Wine packages, and they're actually kept up
> > > to date :)
> >
> > Uh... dapper has 0.9.9[1] and testing and unstable have 0.9.11. Granted,
> > 0.9.13 is out, but claiming that dapper is more up to date than
> > unstable seems a bit disingenuous.
>
> http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb
>
> Click the link. More up-to-date (0.9.13) packages are available
> there, and they're built for dapper and breezy (by me).

Ah, right.

Couple tips really quick though:

1: You've repacked the original tarball twice.[1] [Just use a symlink
if that's what you actually want to change the upstream version;
dpkg-source -b will follow it and do the right thing.]

2: Using a ~ as an addition to the upstream version is just confusing,
as the versions no longer segregate as you might expect. FE, a
0.9.9-0ubuntu1 package will replace the 0.9.9~winehq1~ubuntu~6.06; if
that's what you want to happen, use 00winehq or similar (as you
mentioned in a changelog); this also means that you can differentiate
(if it's even required) between the two ubuntu versions with a simple
changelog modification and a rebuild.

3: You're using rpath in the generated binaries. This is a bad idea,
because it adds random paths to the library search path which may not
be present on end users systems.

4: It looks like you're missing a lot of the bug fixes that were added
to the Debian packages between when you forked them a year and a half
ago and now... you probably want to check them out.

5: You're missing a lot of the configuration that the Debian packages
give you for free.

6: The Build-Depends: you've got are needlessly fragile; you should
alternatively depend on the -dev packages that the versioned packages
provide.

7: You're missing almost all of the Depends: that your packages need
in order to install correctly. There's a reason why the original
packages had ${shlibs:Depends} lines in them.

[You probably also should run lintian on these packages amongst other
things.]

You really should fix up at least some of these issues before
attempting to get this version in Ubuntu.

Don Armstrong

1: dpkg-source needs to be changed to deal with .bz2 tarballs, but
that's in the pipeline.
--
LEADERSHIP -- A form of self-preservation exhibited by people with
autodestructive imaginations in order to ensure that when it comes to