[vox] re: a dual boot system?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Mar 11 12:57:57 PST 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 11:44:31AM -0800, Cylar Z wrote:
> Question: Some posters mentioned SuSE and Debian as
> alternatives to Fedora Core. Are SuSE and Debian two
> separate Linux distros, or are they one and the same?
> (I know that some distros, like Xandros, are actually
> Debian...or was it BeOS? I can't remember.)

I forgot to respond to this part. :^)  Debian and SUSE are unrelated.
There are really no "distros that are actually Debian", besides Debian
itself.

There are many distros which are based UPON Debian (thanks to its
"Free as in Freedom", unlike many of the commercial distros, and their
freely-downloadable versions).

Someone got a graphic showing Distro lineage???  :^)

BeOS is a completely separate operating system, not based on Linux's
codebase.  (Like Windows and Mac OS X, there is plenty of Open Source
available for it these days... including stuff which first cropped up
on Un*x and Linux, like The GIMP.)

Wikipedia.org is a great place to look all this stuff up, when in doubt. :^)