[vox] a dual-boot system?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Mar 11 12:46:12 PST 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 09:10:20AM -0800, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 14:16:43 -0800
> Bob Scofield <scofield at omsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > As startling as that may sound, a more subtle point might be
> > that Linux is really the OS for everybody (except gamers).
>
> Ah, well, that's being worked on too. There are Windows emulators
> specifically aimed at gaming, and a few companies do release Linux
> versions of their code. Not many, but then, the market's not there yet.
> Create enough demand and more companies will make the extra effort. "If
> you come, they will build it." :)

There are also a few really nice Open Source games out there
(along with the Dooms and Quakes and other commercial stuff that's been
ported to Linux).  (See http://www.happypenguin.org and
http://www.linuxgames.com/ for all the latest news, of course!)

I'm curious, though... how big is the PC gaming market these days?
(As a percentage of gaming in general.  Across computers, consoles, handhelds,
mobile phone games, etc...)

I realize there are some PC users who can't live without their games,
some gamers who can't live without their PC games, but neither of those
things seem like driving forces in the computer market as a whole.

*shrug*  Now I'm rambling, sorry ;)

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel