[vox] Swag and tonight's Xen Virtualization talk

Luke Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Mon Jun 19 15:17:52 PDT 2006

To the first 10 people that ask (in person)  I will be giving away a Xen
virtual server with 32MB ram.  (if 5 or fewer people ask, they will be 64M)
In all other ways, these will be identical to my 64MB images.
Half off if you want anything bigger.  See  http://prgmr.com/xen/  for
details of available plans.

I will also be going over some of the technical details of how to run
your own Xen Dom0, and why you should use a standard virtualization
product rather than a proprietary one, and why  Xen is superior to fancy
chroot systems like linux Vservers or FreeBSD Jails (before I started
selling Xen servers, I tried to sell FreeBSD jails.  Bad things happened,
and I ended up refunding all my customers.)  The fancy Chroot systems are
great for some things, but not when you have more than one customer per
kernel.

I will also give you my standard cynical rant about single-sourcing
anything.  I know it's obvious, but I've worked to many places where the
boss has decided "Provider X is really big so they will never go down.
Let us buy all our stuff from Provider X at a discount"  Then watched
provider X screw us, because they know it will be quite expensive for us
to shift away from provider X.

I will say a few words about the jailtime.org, xen-get.org and xen-tools
projects, as I am trying to become involved in two of those projects, and
I pull my default images from the third.