[vox] [fwd] SVLUG July 5th Meeting: The OpenSolaris Project [Mountain View, CA]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Jul 4 17:42:41 PDT 2006

SVLUG meets tomorrow!

----- Forwarded message from "J. Paul Reed" -----

We *ARE* having a meeting this week! So, after you're done with the BBQs
and sparklers...

The Silicon Valley Linux Users Group (SVLUG) meets this Wednesday:

WHEN:

  Wednesday, July 5, 2006
  7pm-9pm

MAIN PRESENTATION:

  TOPIC:
    Sun's OpenSolaris Project

  PRESENTED BY:
    Stephen Lau
    Solaris Kernel Developer, Sun Microsystems, Inc.

  TOPIC SUMMARY:
    OpenSolaris, which was launched on June 15, 2005, is Sun Microsystems's
    flagship Unix operating system for its entire product line from small
    systems to large clusters, and is fully under a genuine open source
    license, CDDL, a variant of the Mozilla Public License. In that sense,
    OpenSolaris serves as the Fedora to Sun's Solaris OS; new Solaris
    versions will be based directly on it, but it's also fully available
    for third-party distributions such as Schillix, Belenix, and Nexenta
    GNU/OpenSolaris.  Stephen will talk about OpenSolaris's development,
    status, and prospects for the future.

  ABOUT THE PRESENTER:
    Stephen Lau is an expatriate Englishman now living in the Bay Area, who,
    after studying high-performance computing in San Diego, has spent the
    last few years working for Sun Microsystems as part of the OpenSolaris
    kernel development team, and occasionally getting away to enjoy the
    outdoors or watch football (the real, World Cup variety), in which
    category he's a Manchester United fan, and hopes to build an HDTV
    MythTV box for home, this summer. He's also been working to convert Sun
    from its proprietary Teamware source-control management tool to Matt
    Mackall's phenomenally successful open source SCM, Mercurial.

NIFTY OF THE MONTH:

  To be announced.

LOCATION:

  Symantec  (formerly Veritas Software Corp.)
  VCAFE Facility
  350 Ellis Street  (near E. Middlefield Road)
  Mountain View, CA 94043

    http://www.svlug.org/directions/veritas.shtml

  webmaster {at} svlug -dot- org

MEETING REFRESHMENTS:

  Open Country (http://www.opencountry.com/) will be graciously providing
  refreshments for this meeting.

POST-MEETING GATHERING:

  restaurant/diner after the meeting.  We'll announce the restaurant
  selection at the meeting.

We look forward to seeing you there!

--
J. Paul Reed