[vox] Windows really DOES suck! (Or maybe it's HP...)

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Sun Jan 22 22:29:23 PST 2006

Richard Crawford wrote:

>So, my server talks to the printer just fine, as does my Kubuntu desktop and
>my Kubuntu laptop.  No additional configuration is necessary on any of these
>machines.
>
>On Windows, though, it's an entirely different story.
>

>I'm pondering returning the machine at this point.  Anyone aware of any
>solutions to my dilemma?

I, of course, have no solution.  But seeing as how you've posted to Vox
instead of Vox-Tech, I feel justified in telling my story.  A year or so
ago I bought an HP Laserjet 1320.  I installed the software that came
with it.  The thing has worked flawlessly in Linux, but I had all kinds
of trouble in Windows.  While these problems are irritating, the stories
are great.  It used to be that things worked in Windows but not in Linux.

Anyway, HP support said that they thought that the Windows software was
designed for my printer to be hooked up as a USB deviice, when I had it
hooked up to the parallel port.  So they told me to get rid of the
software.  I did.  Now the printer works very quickly and flawlessly in
Linux still, and while it does work in Windows it takes a long time for
the print jobs to start.  I'm starting to think that HP products might
be more compatible with Linux than Windows these days.

Bob