[vox] Debian "System" Icon

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Sat Jan 21 21:21:19 PST 2006

Last year Pete Salzman posted a request on Vox-Tech asking how to set up a
Windows-like "My Computer" icon in KDE on Debian.  Bill Kendrick posted the
directions.  I followed Bill's directions and set up a "My Computer" icon on
my Debian system.

Then a couple of days ago I was playing around with the adduser command and,
as might be expected, ended up setting up a new account in Debian.  So
tonight I was playing around configuring some things in the new account, and
I noticed a "System" icon on the desktop.  I had no idea what it was and
clicked on it.

The first thing you see are some icons.  Clicking an icon brings up other
icons.  The icons appear to be from the KDE Control Center, so it looks
somewhat like SuSE's YAST.  One of the icons is "Media Storage."  When you
click on "Media Storage" you get the CD Rom drives, Floppy drives, hard
drives, etc.  The Debian "System" icon has a lot more stuff than the SuSE 9.2
"My Computer" icon that was automatically set up on this machine.

Debian is really starting to grow on me.

Bob