[vox] LUGOD's birthday!

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Jan 7 00:40:28 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:48:12PM -0800, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
> What type of celebration were you thinking of?  Perhaps a bit more
> details on that would be in order

Apologies. :^)   Every year, when it's LUGOD's birthday, we get a cake(1).
Sometimes we have lots of other snacks(2).  (For a majority of the time LUGOD
met, we didn't have food at meetings; or only rarely received sandwiches
from folks like Tek Systems/Maxim.  These days, though, every other meeting
is dinner at Sudwerk, so I think food is less important.)

If we have a speaker lined up, it's otherwise a regular meeting.(3)  Sometimes
bigger raffles than usual, though.(4) :^)  At least once we watched a movie
for the meeting.  (We got perm. to show "Revolution OS.")

This year, Alex has offered to do a talk on the Linux microcontroller
stuff he works on, and will be giving away a device, so we have cool talk(3)
and raffle item(4) covered.  Food/snacks(2) isn't necessary (but welcome!)

That just leaves cake(1)!

We've typically gotten Safeway or Albertsons cakes, with a Tux on them.
Some photos:

  * Tons of pizza (but no cake) at last year's anniv meeting (at UC Davis):
    http://www.lugod.org/photos/2005.01.17/img_3132.jpg

  * "5.0" cake at 2004's anniv meeting (at Ding How):
    http://www.lugod.org/photos/2004.01.19/img_2351.jpg

  * "Happy 4.0" cake at 2003's anniv meeting ("Rev OS" screening @ Library):
    http://www.lugod.org/photos/2003.01.20/0120_037.jpg

  * THREE gorgeous cakes from Eric Engelhard & his wife; '02 (dLoo @ Z-World):
    http://www.lugod.org/photos/2002.01.21/0121_006.jpg
    http://www.lugod.org/photos/2002.01.21/0121_007.jpg
    http://www.lugod.org/photos/2002.01.21/0121_008.jpg

  * "Happy 2.0" cake at 2002's anniv meeting (Jerey Allison/Samba @ Z-World)
    http://www.lugod.org/photos/2001.01.15/lugod-002.jpg

  * Cake cutting by 'Rasterman' & 'Horms' at our first bday; 2000 (UC Davis):
    http://www.lugod.org/photos/2000.01.18/cakecut.jpg

WHEW!  BTW, for those who've never noticed LUGOD's meeting photos archive,
check it out!

  http://www.lugod.org/photos/

Also, if you ever missed a cool talk, many (but sadly, not all) presentations
slides are available online, too!

  http://www.lugod.org/presentations/

Enjoy!