[vox] Another way to hose a system

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 3 16:05:21 PST 2006

on Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 10:35:55AM -0800, Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford at mossroot.com) wrote:
> apt-get remove bdb (or whatever for the Berkeley DB)
>
> ...and watch as the system removes everything related to KDE and even tries to
> mess over the kernel.  It's obviously not as bad as # rm -rf /*, but it's
> pretty messy.

Noted that you're using an apparently grossly misdesigned GUI front-end.

A major win for aptitude in situations such as this is that if you
absolutely insist on shooting yourself in all your feet, aptitude
logs[1] its actions, including what files were installed and/or removed,
when, and why.  You can use the logs to generate lists of packages to
reinstall.  I've done this on several occasions when the results of a
too-long-delayed update went whack, with relatively little downside (a
bit of lost time on the update).

For eight other reasons to use aptitude:

    (Joey Hess)

    Nine reasons why you should be using aptitude instead of apt-get or
    dselect.

Peace.

Notes:

1.  /var/log/aptitude