[vox] Biggest uptimes!

Michael Cheselka cheselka at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 23:20:00 PST 2006

I would say OpenBSD has the bragging rights here
although some SE Linux systems also may be
similary secure.

There is also a way to dynamically load a new kernel on a
running system.  This may not always work if you are upgrading
a version level.

Also, you could migrate the processes to another kernel
and then either leave it at that or upgrade the first kernel
and migrate the processes back( Xen and OpenMosix).

On 2/18/06, trixter aka Bret McDanel <trixter at 0xdecafbad.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 15:24 -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > It's been a while since we've had a "biggest uptime" match.
> >
> > My desktop's got a measely 43 days, but that's because I tore down my entire
> > desk and put it back together.
> >
> > My webserver/ftpserver over at ServerBeach is at 245 days, though. :^)
> >

> wasnt it a desire for a long uptime that caused debin to not install a
> patch for a known kernel vulnerability and they got owned because of
> that?
>
> uptime is nice, but at the cost of not upgrading kernels and things,
> which contests like this generally lead to, kinda makes me laugh ...
>
> :)
>
> This is not a criticism of any particular contestant, just a warning
> that you shouldnt sacrifice security just to have a higher uptime, if
> you want, write something that will save and reset your uptime at each
> shutdown/startup so you can at least patch your kernel if it ever has
> any vulnerabilities that are disclosed and fixed.  Most other stuff can
> be upgraded without rebooting, generally anyway.
>

> --
> Trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com     Bret McDanel
> UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
> US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
> FreeWorldDialup: 635378
> http://www.sacaug.org/ Sacramento Asterisk Users Group

When in the Potemkin Wired be a Potemkin Lain.