[vox] SuSE Bloat

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Thu Feb 2 13:43:28 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 01:23:21PM -0800, jim stockford wrote:
>     if you strip out a lot of what SUSE provides out of
> the can, what's the point of using SUSE? This is a
> question unless there's no good answer.

I think it really just depends on how hard/and for what purposes you're
going to use it. Also, if by default it activates a bunch of stuff you
have no use for, then it makes sense to turn those things off.

These days, 256-512MB is considered a must for pretty much /any/ desktop
environment. That doesn't necessarily make it true. I've been happy with
far less; the only reason I have so much is: gaming on Windows.

I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine on less.

-Micah