[vox] The Ease of Linux

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sat Dec 30 20:50:15 PST 2006

On Saturday 30 December 2006 13:54, Bob Scofield wrote:
> I tell you there's no respect in using Linux anymore.  And in 2004 I
> proved, by installing it myself, that there was no respect anymore in using
> Debian. Real geeks have to strut their stuff by showing that they can get
> things like HP printers to work in Windows.  Linux is for sissies.  And I
> love it more and more all the time.

So true, so true!

I recently purchased an HP 4215 all-in-one scanner/printer/copier/fax/coffee
maker.  I researched it thoroughly before purchasing to make sure it would
function properly under Linux (I have Kubuntu) because I've been burned by
that sort of thing before.

What I didn't think to do was to research how well the printer worked under
*Windows*!  I hooked it up to our server and shared it out with Samba and
found it just fine and printed just dandy from my Kubuntu desktop.  But no
amount of searching and fudging could get this printer working over Samba
from Windows.  I finally broke down and Googled the issue only to find that
the drivers that ship with this printer do not support networking it under
Windows!  I'd have to download an entirely different driver for an entirely
different printer and just sort of hope that it worked under Windows.  And
even then, only the printer would work over the network; the scanner is
limited to the Linux computers in the house.

(And don't even get me started on the joys of Amarok vs... well, whatever
piece of spyware-laden crap even comes close to matching it in 'Doze.)

Editor In Chief at Daikaijuzine (http://www.daikaijuzine.com)
Check out the Cthulhu Wiki: http://www.mossroot.com/cthulhuwiki
AIM: Buffalo2K / GTalk: underpope at gmail.com
Skype/Gizmo: underpope
"You can't trust your judgement when your imagination is out of focus."
		(Mark Twain)