[vox] Mp3 Music For Linux?

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Tue Dec 26 11:32:17 PST 2006

Please forgive the naivete that pervades this message.

While I listen to streaming radio on Linux I have not been interested in
playing mp3's.  Recently I've had some discussions with my son, niece, and
nephew about music.  And I've concluded that the present generation of
college students only listens to music CD's when they are in cars.  From
this, coupled with Tower going out of business, I've concluded that there
will be no music CD's in the future; all non-radio music will require a
computer to access.

Therefore, I'm trying to learn about playing mp3's.  Last night I learned how
to make a play list for XMMS.  Some Dixie Chicks fans sent me two Dixie Chick
mp3's, and so I made a two-song-playlist.  Now here's the problem.

I'm trying to learn how to use mp3's legally.  But it doesn't seem possible.
All I'm trying to do is to download mp3's to play with and learn from.  I'm
willing to pay for the files.  But I can't do it.  When I go to a legal
website it seems like I cannot access music without a commercial software
program, and these programs do not run on Linux.  Is there some place where
someone can legally download mp3 music files straight onto a hard disk
without using some program for Napster or Itunes?

(Of course I could use a program to download mp3 files in Windows, reboot and
copy to the files to Linux, but I am trying to break my dependence on
Microsoft.)

Thank you.

Bob