[vox] Why Linux FS doesn't need defragmenting

Zach Johnson zjohnson at math.ucdavis.edu
Sun Aug 20 10:46:32 PDT 2006

You can get 1.8", 2.5", or 3.5" flash drives which fit in normal
harddisk locations, they just tend to cost a lot more.

http://www.m-systems.com/site/en-US/Products/IDESCSIFFD/IDESCSIFFD

These days some people use the cheap compact flash cards to
install the basic OS on.  There is a problem with the CF cards
failing after so many writes, but if you are in
a situation where you do not write all the time it works out pretty well.
(ie: make sure you save logs to another device or over the net
elsewhere)
There is even JFFS2, a special file system made to overcom this limitation.

http://sources.redhat.com/jffs2/