[vox] Why Linux FS doesn't need defragmenting

Jimbo evesautomotive at charter.net
Sat Aug 19 23:27:51 PDT 2006

I have a question that, in a sense, is related to this article.  Forgive my
ignorance as this might sound really, really stupid:

>From what I have absorbed in the past a hard drive is just a big floppy with
a writing arm built in.  It is made of what appears to be a tape like
material but a stack of them, right?

Anyways...Why is it that this type of storage device is still used?  Seems
crude in that we have gone a long ways with electronics.  Couldn't they just
use some sort of electronic device?  It would seem that a large ic chip like
device could be able to be read and rewrote with ease.

I thought about this as I was thinking about computers on cars (thats my
bag, I'm a mechanic).  The car computer has a basic imput/output system,
remembers driving habits and detect problems which stores info on it as well
as freeze frame data for someone like me to read it with a scanner.  I know
that these computers have no hard drive so why can't a regular personal
computer have this as well?

Jim