[vox] [fwd] Re: Computers for Hurricane Katrina update?

DrBen Timmons drben54 at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 24 12:30:36 PDT 2005

Hi Bill:

How about a live CD with an hdinstal feature like Knoppix?  We run the
install and then users set up accounts.  Machines bound for labs or
libraries can get the kiosk setup.

BEN

Bill Kendrick wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 10:44:49AM -0700, DrBen Timmons wrote:
>

>>Does that help?
>>

>Yep. :)
>
>It's pretty easy to minimalize the menus in KDE, and then lock it down
>with Kiosk permissions.  It might just make sense to wipe and reset the
>user account after every logout, so that even if Joe Random User comes in
>and fiddles with everything, there'll be a pristine environment for when
>Jane Doe comes up to use the box.
>
>LiveCDs are, of course, totally immutable, but that'd require a reboot
>between every use.
>
>-bill!

Ben Timmons
Technology and Organizational Consulting
417 Mace Blvd., Suite J-324
Davis. Ca 95616
drben54 at earthlink.net
(530) 297-1778 (Home and FAX)