[vox] Computers for Hurricane Katrina update

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Oct 21 01:00:05 PDT 2005

Ben Timmons wrote in:

> I met with Dave at the Bargain Barn and we are still go on the first 50
> systems.  This will be our pilot run and get the kinks out.  Once we do
> that we can work on more.  We do have monitors as well as CPU's,  the
> reason being is that mold will wreck units above water line even if no
> damage is visible.  Kind of like smelly electroplating then ZZZZT!

<snip>

> I am ready to get the LUGOD folks in line in the next week or so
> to load these up.  Some kind of custom CD-Bootable Distro would be great.

I've asked Ben if he's planning on an 'event' where people can volunteer
to help put systems together, and if so, when and where.

In the meantime, any recommendations on a Linux distro that could be
suitable for this kind of purpose?  I can't think of much else being
needed beyond a browser.

Any comments, suggestions?