[vox] Lining up volunteers for Hurricane Relief Installfest in Davis (was re: 1,000 Used Computers Needed for Hurricane Relief; Other Tech Relief Projects)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Oct 1 13:26:45 PDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 11:30:27AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> That's awesome, thanks Dr. Timmons.  I've forward your post to SacLUG
> and RoseLUG, our closes LUG neighbors, as well as SVLUG in the San Jose area,
> one of the biggest LUGs in the region.

I've gathered a list of about a dozen people who have offered to help,
some from the Sac/Davis areas, a few from closer to my area
(San Jose / Peninsual areas).

I'll pass this list along to Ben Timmons and Steve Hargadon in private
email[*].

I don't have the capacity to decide when, where or how this event actually
comes together, but I think it makes sense for it to take place in Davis,
since that's where the bulk of the machines (the 50 Ben's lining up)
will be coming from.

We traditionally hold our Installfests on UCD campus on weekends,
in one, the other, or both sides of a large, split classroom.
(Rooms 1131 and 1128, Kemper Hall.)  See:  http://www.lugod.org/if/

The issue now is:  Do we want to throw all of these PCs and volunteers
into our regularly-scheduled IF, which is currently still tentatively
set for Saturday, October 15th?

Or did we want to do something some other day, when we don't have
"regular customers"?  (For example, a week earlier, on October 8th.)

If we DO do something on a different weekend, we'll need to rush to find
someone to coordinate it (assuming neither of our Installfest Coord.
volunteers can manage it), and to get a location -- be it Kemper Hall, or
elsewhere.  (Somewhere with 'net access helps!)

-bill!
(Cc'ing this to SVLUG, SacLUG and RoseLUG lists)

[*] I'll also pass the list on to whoever ends up actually coordinating the
    Installfest, once we figure that out!