[vox] Linux-compatible MP3 player recommendations wanted!

Shwaine shwaine at shwaine.com
Fri Nov 25 17:54:06 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 12:42:56PM -0800, Jan W wrote:
>> And here is my pitch for 'abcde' to encode my cd's to mp3's.  abcde is
>> just "A Better CD Encoder", and can do ogg/wma/whatever codecs you have
>> libs for.  It's a nice, quick, and easy way to make lots and lots of
>> mp3's for my player (with all the tags correctly set from CDDB).
>
> I figured I might as well plug KDE's "audiocd" KIO slave.  Together with
> the USB mass storage device, I believe you can simply drag-n-drop between
> the audio CD and the player right on your desktop. ;^)
>
> e.g., browse to  audiocd:/MP3  in Konqueror (I just have a desktop icon
> shortcut to that URL on my desktop), select the tracks you want, and
> drag them onto  /media/mp3player  or wherever your player gets mounted.
>
> (I can drag to my USB CF card reader; got an icon for it on my desktop
> that points to  /mount/card0  )
>
> (I can also drag to my Zaurus's internal memory, CF card or SD card,
> when it's sitting in its docking cradle, as I've got some "smb://" icons
> on my desktop, too)
>

> Command-line is so 2003. ;^)

Meanwhile, I pop a CD in, execute a script, walk away for a snack and come
back to a nice directory in my music drive of the ripped songs. The script
is home-grown so I can optimally encode for my music player (it has some
ogg-vorbis playing restrictions) and optionally transfer over to the
player. I keep my main music repository on the machine for xmms playing
so everything goes on the hard drive first, player second. Actually, abcde
sounds like it could do about the same thing, but since I've already got a
working script of my own, no real need for it.

Next script is to generate a random playlist from my main music repository
and transfer those songs over to the player. The shuffle function on my
player is not the greatest and often skips around only a few songs, which
gets a bit redundant right now as I load the device up by CD. The shopping
trip on Tuesday where the player chose the same song at the start and end
of the trip was the breaking point for my tolerance of its broken shuffle.
There's 8 or 9 CDs on there right now and of all those songs it choses the
same one twice, tsk.

Click to select and drag and drop are so carpal tunnel inducing when one
can use tab-complete in the command line :)