[vox] Buying MP3s online

Adam Carlson linux at adamcarlson.org
Tue May 31 23:48:23 PDT 2005

allofmymp3.com is about the most advanced online music store I've seen
with everything with a pricing scheme that I think is awesome(you pick
whatever codec you want and pay a flat fee for the bandwidth.  If you
want a cd ripped in flac or 256 kbps ogg you can get it, it will just
cost you extra to download the larger files)......unfortunately rumor
has it that it is run by the russian mob and that the actual copyright
holders won't get a dime.

The only validity I've found is this article talking about it being
investigated:

http://www.onlinereporter.com/TORbackissues/TOR433.htm

"Russian authorities are reportedly investigating the Russian Web site
Allofmymp3.com for selling downloadable digital copies of copyrighted
music illegally. The site's principles are believed to be offering the
music both in Russia and internationally without the authorization of
the rights holders. The Computer Crimes unit of Moscow City Police,
which was doing the investigation, turned the investigation's report
over to Moscow's City Prosecutor's office on February 8.

The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), on
behalf of its members, also submitted a formal complaint to the
prosecutor's office on the same day, urging prosecution. The prosecutor
has 30 days from the date of receiving evidence to decide whether to
proceed with a criminal prosecution.

IFPI's complaint alleges that Allofmp3.com has not been licensed to
distribute its members' repertoire in Russia or internationally. IFPI
Moscow regional director Igor Pozhitkov said, "We have consistently said
that Allofmp3.com is not licensed to distribute our members' repertoire
in Russia or anywhere else. We are pleased that the police are bringing
this important case to the attention of the prosecutor. We very much
hope and expect that the prosecutor will proceed with this case, which
involves the sale and digital distribution of copyrighted music without
the consent or authorization of the rights holders."

IFPI, headquartered in London, has a regional office in Moscow plus
others in Brussels, Hong Kong and Miami. The Miami office covers Central
and South America. The organization has 1,450 members in 75 countries
and affiliated industry associations in 48 countries"

I'm in no way a proponent of IP laws as they've come to be or a
supporter of the record industry in its current form, so I'm not saying
this to lecture on why you shouldn't use the site.  Just wanted people
to know what they were getting into.  For what it's worth a good friend
of mine has been using the site for a few months with no problems at
all, he loves it and didn't really care too much when I told him why the
prices were reasonable.

If you can handle the limited selection emusic.com is an awesome site
that many artists choose to release B-side or older material on because
it seems to give artists a better deal than most sites.  It is through
the web and gives you mp3's so it should be linux friendly.