[vox] Linux-compatible MP3 player recommendations wanted!

Micah J. Cowan micah at cowan.name
Tue May 31 14:49:11 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 01:53:27PM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> What about those Zen things I've seen advertised and in store windows?

I have the Zen Micro; to my knowledge, it does not support Linux. It has
USB Mass Storage, but only for a partition /separate/ from the music
files that it may play. I have not actually attempted access through
Linux since this has been my understanding, and I have no partition on
my Zen Micro for disk-style access.

I will make the following comments, in case anyone is still interested
in it: I am very happy with the usability of this device, and also
surprisingly with the free included in-ear headphones (they have a very
respectable bass, for that sort of headphone).

I am not impressed, in general, with the included Windows software, and
its usability. The track ripper (which can automatically transfer tracks
from your CD to your PC and Zen device quickly and easily), and the
disk-style access driver are the only two ways I have been happy in
dealing with the device. There is a flashy music management application
that IMO sucks.

--
Micah J. Cowan
micah at cowan.name