[vox] Maybe I will try Kubuntu and ignore Ubuntu

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun May 8 17:00:33 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 07:45:01PM -0400, David Hummel wrote:
> Exactly.  Although he brings up a couple of decent points, for the most
> part this is a rant about (IMO) trivial user interface details that he
> has obviously chosen to complain about, rather than taking the time to
> configure them to his liking.

Well, I did get to the end, and it turns out this fellow actually WORKS
for Mark Shuttleworth's Canonical (on some of their online OSS-supporting
tools, but not Ubuntu itself).

He followed up with another web-log entry where he discusses the response
to his initial entry, and points out that his whole purpose was to look
at the situation from "Aunt Tillie's" standpoint:

  http://mpt.net.nz/archive/2005/04/28/meow

> Nearly everything he is talking about is
> highly configurable, as I'm sure it all would be in Kubuntu/KDE as well.

Heh, I've noticed a LOT of stuff in Gnome has become LESS configurable.
Gnome 1.x was decent, and I was kind of forced into it via RedHat's default
packages back in the ~6.0 days.  2.0 has not impressed me at all. :^/

Even The Gimp, which folks here all know I love tremendously, has had some
insane UI issues crop up that really piss me off, both under Linux and under
Windows.

I'm beginning to keep an eye on KDE's alternatives to Gimp, but I don't
expect anything for a while. ;^)

(And to be honest, The Gimp is about the ONLY GTK+/Gnome-based app that I
run on my desktop these days.)

-bill!
PS - I like that there's choice and competition and all, of course.
     And I realize other people have their own opinions.  Feel free to
     post 'em!