[vox] My next little project

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Mar 30 15:06:17 PST 2005

on Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 08:41:39AM -0800, Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford at mossroot.com) wrote:
> I know this is a Linux list, but I'm thinking that I would like to build a
> router/firewall out of a computer running OpenBSD for my home network,
> instead of using the Linksys router/firewall that I'm currently using.
>
> Has anyone had any experience doing this?  I have some very basic
> questions that I'd like to ask.

I had one set up for a few years, finally took it down and wiped it for
Debian.  Observations:

  - General OpenBSD vs. Debian GNU/Linux:

  - The IP firewalling facility *is* markedly straightforward.

  - Maintaining two markedly different distros was more overhead than I
    cared for.  It's a lot easier to run aptitude update; aptitude -dy
    dist-upgrade, then sort out the bodies manually.

  - Overall, greater flexibility with slightly better assurance, on
    Debian.  I wanted a few services on the router itself, and found
    doing this under Debian was significantly less krufty.

That said:  for a straightford firewall, OpenBSD has a lot to commend
it, and it's a good learning system for more 'nix experience.

Peace.

    Obviously it's not going to be trivial to run GNOME apps outside of GNOME.
    - Adam Hooper, clarifying the topic of GNOME interoperability