[vox] Upgrading Applications in Debian

Bob Scofield rscofield at afes.com
Fri Mar 11 09:30:56 PST 2005

I was doing some web surfing last night and saw an announcement that SuSE 9.3
is coming out in mid-April.  It will have KDE 3.4 and Open Office 2.0.

That got me to wondering about Debian.  If a Debian user keeps using apt-get
update, upgrade, and dist-upgrade, will he or she eventually go from KDE 3.3
to 3.4, and from OO 1.1.2 to 2.0?

If that's the case, then it seems to me that the non-geek simple desktop user
has a very good reason to use Debian.

I'm not advocating that people use Debian, but just pointing out that there
might be good reasons for non-technical users to think about it.  But I don't
know the answer to the question I asked above.

Bob