[vox] Re: Need to keep reinstalling modem

Bruce Duncan hatter at calweb.com
Fri Mar 4 15:23:55 PST 2005

My other problem -- the hard drive accelerator -- has been rendered null
and void.  I hadn't realized that the new DVD drives can read/write BOTH
CD's and DVS's.  So I don't need to have a CD-ROM, a CD/RW, a DVD-ROM
and a DVD-RW, so I don't need an extra IDE port or two at ALL!  Huzzah!

However, I never got an answer on my modem problem:

> I have a US Robotics /3Com OEM 2976 modem.  I ran the RPM file from
> 3Com, and here's an excerpt from the description:
>
>    It basically parses the PCI device list created during boot. If it
>    finds a 3Com controller based modem it will then call setserial with
>    the appropriate parameters.  If no parameter is passed 3ComMdm will
>    default to /dev/ttyS3.  If you installed the 3ComMdm program from
>    the RPM archive 3ComMdm-1.0-1.rpm then your system should be ready
>    to go every time you boot. The installation provided the
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/serial script and the proper linkage with /dev/modem.
>
> Sounds good, but every time I boot up it reverts to the external
> modem.  If I run the script again, it works fine until the next time I
> reboot, then I'm back where I started.

So, why doesn't SuSe automotically load the serial script each time it
boots?  Help appreciated.  This is my only remaining SuSe problem, at
least for now

Thanks,

Bruce Duncan
hatter at calweb.com