[vox] One more reason to prefer Linux...

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Thu Mar 3 10:13:05 PST 2005

For some reason, my computer's GUI crashed at work.  Because it's a
Windows computer, I couldn't do a danged thing unless I rebooted.
Pressing ctrl+alt+delete brought up the task manager at least, so I could
do a more or less clean reboot, but still.  It was annoying.

At home I run FC3 with KDE as my window manager.  If KDE crashes, I know I
can restart X by pressing ctrl+alt+backspace, without having to reboot the
entire computer.  Or I can launch a shell and examine the system logs to
see what happened, and possibly fix whatever configuration setting got
messed up.  With Windows, I could boot into safe mode, but that's no
guarantee that I'll figure out what happened.  But I still have to reboot
the entire machine and that's a lot more time consuming than just
rebooting X.

Anyway.  Rant over.

--
Sláinte,