[fwd] Re: [vox] Re: Earthlink "test" messages to 'postmaster'

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue Jun 28 22:34:38 PDT 2005

----- Forwarded message from "Karsten M. Self" <kmself at ix.netcom.com> -----

Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:21:16 -0700
From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself at ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: [vox] Re: Earthlink "test" messages to 'postmaster'
To: Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net>, Rod Roark <rod at sunsetsystems.com>

on Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 05:16:16PM -0700, Bill Kendrick (nbs at sonic.net) wrote:

> Ah - Got a response :)
>
>   "Sorry about that, We had some issues with mails not getting to your
>   domain because of no MX record.  Please ignore them."

I think I'm the cause of this.

On or about the 19th, Earthlink modified its outbound email server in a
way that makes it impossible to send to a host that doesn't have an MX.
Instead I get a bounce message from ELNK's smarthost of the form:

      vox-tech at lists.lugod.org
        host lookup did not complete: retry timeout exceeded

This is in violation of recommendations and standard practices, if not
RFCs.  SOP is to fall back to 'A' records where an MX doesn't exist.

The Cricket Book (Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu, _DNS and BIND, Third
Edition_, O'Reilly &Associates, (c) 1998, ISBN 1-56592-512-2), on pp
94-95 suggests that hosts which are intended to receive mail have an MX,
as the sending MTA will query same anyway.  No, it's not required, but
it is good practice.  Note that this means setting up a separate MX for
*each* likely inbound mail host.  Note too that this is entirely
different from SPF (several people have been confused on the issue).

I've requested ELNK look into the matter and it's actually somewhat
reassuring to see that they are actually doing this.

I'd submitted this to (IIRC) root or postmaster at svlug.org, I think Bill
got that mail and said he'd forward it to Rob.

Anyhow:  I've been unable to send mail to LUGoD lists for the past week.
Per my previous request apparently to Bill:  could we get an MX set up
so we're at least kosher, as it seems ELNK are taking their sweet time
with this?

...and you're welcome to copy/forward this to the list as I clearly
can't do so myself.

Peace.

    You want my advice?
    Oh, yes, please.