[vox] [fwd] More about the OpenPower project (was "Linux Event Announcement for lugod members")

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jun 24 11:35:28 PDT 2005

More details, for those curious...

I've also invited Simon to come speak in Davis (or any other LUG I can get
him into contact with) if he's interested. :^)

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Simon Hymas <Simon.Hymas at ogilvy.com> -----

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 15:53:16 -0400
From: Simon Hymas <Simon.Hymas at ogilvy.com>
Subject: Linux Event Announcement for lugod members
To: webmaster at lugod.org, nbs at sonic.net

Hi Bill,

Cheryl Max (from IBM) recently contacted you about a new Linux project
that???s going into Beta. We have some more information you might find
useful, and a free movie offer for you and your members.

You know the Linux community has always thrived on cooperation and
experimentation. In that spirit, IBM, in cooperation with two major
universities, has started a new project that can take Linux to the next
level: The OpenPower Project. It will give Linux users remote, non-root
access via SSH to the latest POWER5-based OpenPower servers. Before we open
it to all, we???re inviting a few select Linux users to register for the Beta
version -  and that???s where you come in. As a leader in the world of Linux
users, you know the people who could make the best use of this access.
We???d appreciate it if you???d pass this information on to them, and make use
of the project???s resources yourself. You can compile, run and test all your
Linux applications on IBM OpenPower servers in several configurations,
right now.

To celebrate the kickoff of the beta phase, we???re holding a private
premiere screening of War of the Worlds in San Francisco; a movie (made
with Linux) that a lot of us can???t wait to see.  It???s a chance to meet some
of the other people working on the project, talk Linux, eat some popcorn
and watch a movie, free. The first 280 people who register on the site will
get a pair of tickets.

We hope the new web site is of interest to you and your members, the site
can be accessed at www.openpowerproject.org

We hope to see you and your members at the kick off event on June 29.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like further information.

Simon Hymas
Tel: +1-212-237 4796
E-mail: simon.hymas at ogilvy.com

----- End forwarded message -----

--
-bill!                         Linux vs Windows studies can be divided into:
bill at newbreedsoftware.com        1. Studies paid for by Microsoft