[vox] Re: [roselug] State of the Union

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 10:29:43 PDT 2005

I'm doing a 25-workstation linux thin client demo in Philadelphia next
week at the National Educational Computing Conference (NECC 2005) in
an area they are now calling the "Free Software Center."  Otherwise,
I'd be delighted to come and talk.

Coming from the Windows world, and having now done Linux thin client
installations in schools in Hawaii, Utah, Indiana, and California, I
am a true believer.  I'm talking with several organizations right now
about doing a nation-wide volunteer Linux thin client installation
called "100 Schools, 100 Days"--but it would be significantly helped
by an ability to find a school here in the local Sacramento area that
could be a showcase and that might gain the interest of the Governor's
office, or the Secretary of Education.

Is this something that might galvanize the local LUGs?  Could we do
something big in this area and tie it to Software Freedom Day in
September?

Steve

On 6/20/05, Paul Telford <paul at droflet.net> wrote:

> RoseLUGers,
>

>  As of this writing we don't yet have a speaker lined up for this month's
> meeting.  There were a couple of possibilities, but neither could make it.
> If you have a last-minute idea, or would like to present, please let me
> know.  The meeting is scheduled one day later than normal, Tuesday June
> 28th, due to room scheduling conflicts.
>
> I think we need to discuss what the future of the group is.  The last few
> meetings have been sparsely attended, and activity on the list is
> virtually zero.  The group is organized by and for you guys, so its up to
> all of you to make it worthwhile.  If Monday nights are universally bad,
> then let me know.  I have not yet reserved our meeting room for the rest
> of the year, but will need to do so ASAP.
>
> I've been doing my best to arrange speakers each month, as well as keep
> the mailing list/web site spam-free and running.  I want to see RoseLUG
> continue to meet, and to grow, but that isn't going to happen without
> help.  Most importantly I need one or more people to volunteer to help
> arrange the meeting topics/speakers each month.  Please speak up if you
> would be willing to help.
>
> I think we have a lot of accumulated knowledge here, I'd like to see some
> outreach at the area high-schools/community-college/elsewhere to bring in
> some members who would like to learn more about Linux.  Anyone know a
> computer teacher at any of these places?  (Do high-schools even still have
> "computer" classes?)
>
> I would also like to get back to doing occasional workshops where we can
> get hands-on into a particular topic.  Let us know if that is something
> you are interested in seeing -- if there's demand we can make it happen!
> Let me know what else you would like to see -- demos/installfests/etc.
> We can learn a lot from LUGOD, as they do a great job with this type of
> stuff.  Maybe we could work on a joint-effort on one of these?  All
> opinions welcome!
>
> Please reply to the list.
>

> Thanks,
>

>  Paul.
>

> --
> Paul Telford | paul at droflet.net | www.droflet.net
> "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Steve Hargadon
916-899-1400 direct
www.technologyrescue.com