[vox] Picn*x14 status

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jun 6 00:58:31 PDT 2005

So I've poked and prodded people, and got the ball rolling for this
year's 5th annual Linux Anniversary Picnic and Barbecue ("Picn*x14").

I thought I'd let my LUGOD homies know what's up so far. :^)

* Mike Simons reserved the Sunnyvale Baylands Park (where it's been in the
  past) for the Sunday following LinuxWorld Expo: Sun., August 14th

* Jennifer Davis, head of BayLISA (Bay Area Large Installation Systems Admins)
  group offered to coordinate the picnic event.  Then convinced me to
  co-coordinate it with her. :^)

* Bill Ward, head of PenLUG and vice-pres. of SVLUG, put up a Wiki website
  for volunteer coordination, which is helping IMMENSELY!
  He's also handling webmastering (and hosting, I think?) of the
  "public" side of the site.

* We've already got somewhere around $1800 in sponsorship from a number
  of companies, including: BitPusher, Google, Linux-Consulting.com,
  OpenCountry, Oracle (OTN, specifically), Penguin Computing, and
  Polywell Computers.

* A number of sponsors are also promising to bring food and cooks!
  (Our own Henry House is bringing 3-4 bushel boxes of apples. :^) )

* Linux-Consulting.com MIGHT be giving us a 1U server to raffle at the event!
  Google might also be doing t-shirts.  (We're still discussing what kind of
  sponsorship they'll do this year.)

* Finally, we already have over 2 dozen people signed up as "Volunteers",
  but we definitely need more.  So if you can help, let us know!!!

More and more details about the event are appearing here:

  http://www.linuxpicnic.org/

Eventually we'll enable the RSVP system, and let people know they should
head to the site to sign up for the event!

It will once again be a free event -- food and drink supplied, of course!

bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://newbreedsoftware.com/