[vox] eSchool News covers Open Source [reg required]

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jun 3 22:33:12 PDT 2005

(Or use "foo at bar.com" as the email to login with)

Open-Source Software

  In Kearney, Mo., district IT director Keith Waller recently
  established four new classroom labs for teaching with technology. Each
  includes an interactive whiteboard, a teacher workstation, a teacher
  laptop, and a student-to-computer ratio of 2 to 1. The computers in
  two of the labs run on Microsoft's Windows operating system, while
  those in the other two labs are powered by Linux, the open-source
  software platform that is mounting a growing challenge to Microsoft's
  dominance in the computing world.

  Not only did the Linux-based labs cost half as much as the
  Windows-based labs to equip--but system upkeep is much easier, too,
  Waller maintains.

This article's 7 pages long.  I haven't even started reading it yet,
but I've seen it mentioned a bunch in the K12/Linux communities.

  http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/showStorysr.cfm?ArticleID=5662

Enjoy!

bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://newbreedsoftware.com/