[vox] Help disassembling a laptop?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jul 18 00:52:25 PDT 2005

on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 04:00:07PM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 03:35:00PM -0700, Karsten M. Self (kmself at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> > on Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 11:34:50AM -0700, Richard Crawford (rscrawford at mossroot.com) wrote:
> > > I've got an old Sony Vaio laptop which has a problem with
> > > overheating.  It's out of warranty and has been replaced now by a
> > > much snazzier laptop, and I'd like to put Ubuntu on this machine and
> > > turn it into a media center; however, with the overheating, it shuts
> > > itself off after a few hours, and the fan is very loud.
>
> [Model is PCG-GRV670P]
>
> ... Searching model + 'site:sony.com' brings you to Sony's support page:
>
>     http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-system.pl?PRODTYPE=24&NAVDISP=pc
>
> ...there's a link for manuals, after plugging in the model, though this
> seems to be a no-op.
>
> I'll repeat my earlier comment:  based on this experience, I'd avoid
> Sony products.

Sony support did respond with information on the cooling system of this
laptop, but no dissassembly instructions or information on whether a
manual exists or where it may be obtained.  I'm forwarding the mail to
Richard.

Peace.

    SCO is the thief who puts a gun to his own head and says give me
    your money or I'll shoot.
    - Bruce Perens  http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=56225&&cid=5456337