latex presentations (Re: [vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?)

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 6 21:42:41 PDT 2005

After all this discussion about latex presentations, I'd like to point
out the "Latex Beamer" package.  Website and direct link to the user's
guide are:

http://latex-beamer.sourceforge.net/
http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/beamer/doc/beameruserguide.pdf

About 2 years ago I did a serious survey for latex presentation
packages.  At the time, Prosper looked the most fancy but a headache to
custom configure (note: I didn't really test it too thoroughly).  I
settled on the simple Foiltex.  About a year ago I did another survey
and discovered Beamer, which has come rather suddenly to the forefront
of latex presentation packages.  I honestly don't know how it compares
to recent versions of Prosper, but those checking these out for the
first time should seriously look at both.  The user's guide itself is a
beauty; it not only gives a thorough explanation of how to use the
package, but it also gives very useful advice for slide preparation in
general.  Beamer supports animations and slide transitions, by the way.

Regards,
Jonathan