[vox] Survey: What do YOU use Linux for?

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Wed Jul 6 12:34:31 PDT 2005

Bill Kendrick said:

> There's a demo this Sunday at the Davis Food Co-Op, and I thought it'd be
> neat to have a list of "things LUGOD members use Linux for" available
> for when people ask.
>
> So, here's a very short survey...  What do YOU use Linux for?
> (Server? Desktop? PDA? Appliance?  What services do you run?
> What desktop apps do you use?  ... and anything else you can think of! :^)
> )

Desktop-style stuff:

Standard stuff: e-mail, web browsing, wathing movies, listening to music,
instant messaging.  I have both a desktop computer and a laptop computer
running Linux for these purposes.  I'm also a writer (too rarely
published, sadly), so I use OpenOffice.org or KWord frequently to write
stories or write reviews of other stories.  I also use various open-source
programs to keep track of characters, plots, storylines, maps, and more.

Aside from that, I also have a server at home that works as my file,
print, mail, and web server.  My wife and I use this computer to check our
e-mail share files with each other, print documents, and hold our growing
collection of MP3's.  It's also a web server, so we can check our e-mail
remotely with Squirrelmail and download MP3's over the web (the music
directory is protected, so it's not available to the world).

I also just built a new Ubuntu box to use primarily as a big MP3 player in
the downstairs living room of our house.  It connects via a wireless
connection to our our collection of MP3 files, and we use Amarok to
organize playlists.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com