[vox] Just in time for tax time

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Jan 6 14:20:36 PST 2005

I downloaded a form 1040 from the IRC and had trouble opening it with KDE's
PDF viewer.  So, I tried crufy old Acrobat Reader 5 for Linux, which seemed
to work, but also pointed out that the PDF used some newer features.

I hit 'OK' to go to Adobe's website and poke around, and I saw the latest
was version 7.  But... alas, no Linux version.

That was two nights ago...  Apparently, 7 just came out for Linux :^)

  http://www.newsfactor.com/trends/story.xhtml?story_id=29517

It's beta, though, but can be found here [*]:

  https://adobe.centercode.com/callout/default.html?callid={4EE7B13E-2D84-4AF6-A27B-E8FD6C94A42F}

I haven't tried it myself, and it looks as though you need to 'apply' for
the opportunity to test the thing, meaning you need to get an
Adobe Systems user account on their website. :^P  But, I think I'll give
it a go.  Adobe Reader 5 is such an ugly beast (but has the fewest problems
rendering forms and such, compared to most of the OSS stuff, sadly), that
I'm eager to see what improvements they've made in version 7.

-bill!

[*] Here's a TinyURL for folks who have trouble copying that long one:
    http://tinyurl.com/6vxsg